Travel mini-series: the FT’s travel editor talks tourism
We’ll send you a myFT Daily Digest email rounding up the latest FT Weekend podcast news every morning.
In the third episode of our special mini-series on travel, Lilah talks with our travel editor, Tom Robbins. Tom is an expert on the tourism industry. We discuss the biggest trends in travel, and he gives us an honest account of where we are today: how social media has changed the places we visit, how governments are dealing with over-tourism, and how James Bond helped make Iceland cool.
Want to stay in touch? We love hearing from you. We’re on Twitter @ftweekendpod and Lilah is on Instagram and Twitter @lilahrap.
– Tom is on Twitter at @TRtravels
– 2022 travel predictions: https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/f90a73bc-1dbb-472a-bb05-4977728dc3fe
– Skiing the Dolomites in a day: https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/8b02efc0-45e6-42dd-96c5-ef9d82301df7
– Deep in the woods, a ski retreat that’s straight from a fairytale: https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/868c1b97-ff9d-4502-8244-467dfb5677f1
– Video: a pilgrimage to Europe’s highest hotel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT583c2E1Vc
– This winter’s most exciting ski destination: Albania’s Accursed Mountains: https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/3f1e25cf-3aac-4c6b-9dc3-4952a02095d1
– More on Bhutan’s tourist tax https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/9baed03d-ce88-4023-a656-52e772d7864d
– One of the most remote places to visit in the world: https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/b88abb8d-6383-48f4-95db-3c0dda12ff7c
– On overtourism: https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/fd66019e-d960-4187-968f-ca2206081f30
– Glamping in Greenland: https://www-ft-com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/content/e5314b60-e1e9-11e8-8e70-5e22a430c1ad
Special offers for FT Weekend listeners, from 50 per cent off a digital subscription to a $1/£1/€1 trial can be found here: http://ft.com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/weekendpodcast
This episode was produced by Zach St Louis. Mixing and sound design by Breen Turner.
Read a transcript of this episode on FT.com